Seedling Update and September Garden Pics

The sad business of thinning.

Seedlings - beets, cabbage, tomatoes, catnip
I hate thinning out my seedlings. I feel like a plant murderess.

Sometimes it can be hard to tell which ones to take - many of my seedlings are the same size. I looked for seedlings that were straight and looked stronger than the others, even if they were similar in height. There was definitely some guesswork involved! Many of my seedlings were getting too big for my Jiffy seed starting kit and they had to be moved into bigger pots and given a bit more space.

Tito the cat plays plant-sitter to our seedlings
Seedling farm, with feline plant-sitter.
One bonus of seedling-murder was that I was then able to make myself a delicious microgreen salad. Baby beets and cabbage are really tasty. I still don't have enough carrots for thinning out, but my tomatoes, cabbage, beets, and catnip were ready to go into pots. One important thing to remember when thinning out seedlings is to simply clip them at the soil line; don't try to pull them out of the dirt. At this point, roots are very delicate and you can destroy your remaining plants that way.


Meanwhile, in our outdoor garden...

Here's what's going on:

Grasshopper resting in garden basil plant

We had a guest in the basil...










Our ancho chiles are nice and hot - they're working out great for our salsa and chili now that fall is here.










And a tomato plant we'd thought was dead thanks to our very hot summer is producing new fruit now that the weather's a little cooler.









Next time: We're going to be installing the doors and putting on the finishing touches to the structure. It's already warm and humid in there, even without doors that close. Then, I'll be able to move our seedlings out there, and start building the raised beds.

What's going on in your garden? Please share!


No comments:

Post a Comment